10 Guilt-Free Snacks and Desserts
Ashley Acornley, MS, RD, LDN
1. Cottage Cheese Fruit Cup. Fill a wineglass or parfait glass half-full with blueberries or fresh sliced strawberries. Top with 1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese, then drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. This snack also pairs well with ricotta cheese.
2. Baked Fruits with Honey. Halve fruits (such as peaches or apples) and remove the pits. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle each half with 1 teaspoon of natural honey. Roast in the oven at 350°F until tender and juicy, about 15 minutes.
3. Banana-Peanut Butter Boat. Peel a banana and cut it in half lengthwise. Spread 1 tablespoon creamy reduced-fat peanut butter onto the cut side of one half, then top with the other half to create a banana sandwich. Cut into bite-size pieces, if desired.
4. Ice Cream” Sandwich. Create a homemade frozen treat by sandwiching 2 tablespoons sugar-free whipped topping between 2 fat-free chocolate graham crackers. Cover with plastic wrap and pop into the freezer for 1 hour.
5. Baked Spiced Apple. Core and halve an unpeeled apple and place it in a small microwavable bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and heat on high power in a microwave for 2 minutes. Drizzle each half with 1 tablespoon sugar-free maple syrup, then sprinkle with cinnamon or allspice.
6. Low-Calorie Peanut Butter Cup. Stir 1 teaspoon creamy reduced-fat peanut butter into a sugar-free, fat-free chocolate pudding cup. It tastes just like a peanut butter cup!
7. Banana Milkshake. Peel an extra-ripe banana, cut it into chunks, and freeze in a ziptop bag. In a blender, process the frozen chunks with 1 cup fat-free milk, soy milk, or fat-free yogurt.
8. Healthy Latte. For a healthier alternative to the drinks sold at many coffee chains, pour 1 cup of cooled coffee over ice, add a small scoop of fat-free vanilla frozen yogurt, and top with a sprinkling of nutmeg or cocoa powder.
9. Angel Food Trifle. In a parfait glass, layer 2 small chunks of angel food cake with 1 cup of sliced berries of your choice and 1/2 cup fat-free frozen yogurt.
10. Chocolate-Covered Strawberries. Dip 5 or 6 large fresh strawberries into 2 tablespoons fat-free chocolate sauce for a guilt-free version of chocolate-covered strawberries.